Range Hood Update

wp_20160930_007_2

Hi, everyone. Today I going to show you another kitchen update. From my previous post kitchen island update, you saw my very very ugly 80s builders grade cabinets that are just falling apart. This time I’m working on the range hood and the cabinet above it. Here is what it looks like:

wp_20160914_001_3

This is what I would like it to look like, well almost:

e677d3b0c90e139856e57c324232510e

There were no plans out there so I’m going to try my best to make one for you. This will be for a standard 30″ range hood.

So the first thing I did was measure the range hood 30” the cabinet 30” the Space above that houses the exhaust tubing 22” x 14”. Then I had to decide if and when I was going to replace the actual hood. Since funds where short at this time, I will replace the hood at a later date. But I when shopping anyway because is needed measurements for a future install. This is what I found:

c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_026715200474lg-1

This was perfect, the on/off, and light switch on the underside and its right size 30”.

With the dimensions in my hand I went to my wood pile and found a piece of 1x 4 to cover the front and sides making a square U shape. So now I had my base. But how was I going to attach it? I got 2 – ¾” L brackets to attach to the cabinet frame on each side. Next, I got a piece of plywood and measured/cut a square at 32’ x 14”. Laid on my base at an angle to get my measurement for the angle cut. Once that was done I did the same for the sides. Now I can put the box together. At this point I went ahead and added the trim pieces. So now it looks like this:wp_20160915_001

How was I going to be able to access the outlet and the vent that is housed in the cabinet above? This part will be removable!! So if at any time (installing the new vent) I will not destroy what I just did. Ok, from here I could just finish dressing my new hood with accents and paint and call it a day. Nope not me. I got more plywood and covered the area above cabinet that is the home to the vent stack and added crown molding to the top.

wp_20160919_002

Added a few more pieces of accent molding, chalked the ceiling and Walla! All done. Now to prime and paint.

wp_20160930_007_2

This project took me a day to complete, would have spent less time if I had some directions to follow. But not bad if I do say so myself.

Supplies

1 – 1 x 4 @ 30”

2 – 1 x4 @ 7”

2 – 4’ x 8’ plywood

2 – ¼” quarter round @ 30”

2 – Flat screen molding @ 14”

2 – Corner molding @ 16.5”

1 – Corner molding @ 24”

Crown molding

Calking

Paint

Brad Nails

Ryobi ZRP320 ONE Plus 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion 2 in. Brad Nailer

Gorilla Glue

Overall cost for the project is under $50. I did mine from leftover wood pieces I had in my garage. 

Disclaimer: These are my measurements and may not fit for you. Please measure each area for your space.

I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did, and stop in to see what I did next.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s